Local Government House
Structural Renovations are currently employed at Local Government House, 10 storey office block in Smith Square, SW1.
Transport House, as it was originally named, was officially opened in May 1928 and was the headquarters of the Transport and General Workers’ Union, the Labour Party, the Trades Union Congress, and the Workers’ Travel Association.
The original building is now called Local Government House and houses the headquarters of the Local Government Association and a conference centre and is undergoing a major refurbishment which involves the removal of all existing partitioning and finishes.
Structural Renovations are employed to carry out concrete repairs to the concrete floor slabs, following a detailed survey carried out by Peter Brett Associates.
Large voids which have been formed where the concrete slab has been broken out along a diagonal fractures between the filler joists are being reinforced with 16mm diameter ‘L’ shaped reinforcing bars and filled with C40 concrete. Smaller voids such as redundant service holes are filled with Fosroc Conbextra HF.
Defective concrete has been removed from the filler joists. The exposed filler joists have been cleaned and primed, followed by the installation of an expanded metal lathing, the concrete cover is then reinstated with Fosroc Renderoc HB.