Structural Renovations - Observer Building - Anodes

Observer Building – Externals

January saw us remobilise for the 3rd phase of concrete repair and protection works, this phase concentrating on the external elevation of this Hastings landmark building.
This imposing building designed by local architect, Henry Ward, specifically for F. J. Parsons (publishers and printers), was built in 1924 with extensive use of reinforced concrete.

The building remained in constant use until 1985, when the Hastings & St. Leonards Observer moved to other premises. The intervening years left the structure without maintenance, leading to severe deterioration.

We completed extensive concrete repairs to the internal elements of the building in 2019 and 2021, which has allowed the internal fit-out to subsequently take place.
This phase of works is concerned with the repair, corrosion control and anti-carbonation protection of the external beams, lintels and columns on the east, south and west elevations, all from scaffolding.

Due to the building’s proximity to the aggressive marine environment, it was decided that the concrete would benefit from the installation of sacrificial anodes to pacify ongoing corrosion of the buried mild steel reinforcement, prior to reinstatement using polymer modified repair mortars. Some locations were too small to accept the anodic protection and instead were treated with a liquid migrating corrosion inhibitor. Following completion of the corrosion control and concrete repairs a pigmented anti-carbonation coating system is being applied, which will not only offer increased protection to both repaired and existing areas but will provide uniform and improved aesthetics.

If you would like to receive further information on the products/techniques used on this project, please contact our office.

Comments for this post are closed.