The Hoover Building

Hoover Building Structural Renovations

Structural Renovations Limited completed a 12 month concrete repair and specialist coating project at the iconic Hoover Building in Perivale, West London.

The building was constructed as a factory for the Hoover Company in 1933 to the design of Wallis, Gilbert & Partners, who were inspired by the Mayan and Aztec fashion displayed at the 1925 Paris Exhibition and remained operational until its closure in the 1982.

During the Second World War the factory was used to manufacture parts for various aircraft and the building was camouflaged with netting to help avoid being attacked.

Being of significant architectural importance the building was Grade II* listed in October 1980 and in 1989 Tesco purchased the site and set about converting the rear into a large supermarket, including sympathetic recreations of various original building motifs around its entrance and car park.

Structural Renovations were employed to carry out a condition survey of the concrete to the original structure and from the results of the survey we developed a specification for its repair and protection, based on the use Sika products.

Structural Renovations were instructed to carry out the repair and restoration works and following an initial clean we were able to identify all spalling and defective concrete. Where required the concrete was repaired using a polymer modified repair system, combined with the installation of a vapour phase inhibitor, to control any ongoing corrosion to the embedded reinforcement.

Previously painted areas received a multi-coat elastomeric system and unpainted elements of the building had a clear anti-carbonation coating applied.

Finally, all existing sealants at the junction between window frames and painted concrete were raked out, prepared by priming and reinstated with a one part low modulus sealant.

During our external works the internal areas of the original building were converted into 66 luxury apartments by IDM Properties.

We are proud to have been involved in prolonging the life of this prestigious example of Art Deco architecture and it demonstrates the capabilities of our Company.

The Observer Building, Hastings

Observer Building Concrete Repairs

Structural Renovations were awarded the contract to complete extensive structural repairs and apply protective coatings to all reinforced concrete within the landmark structure, known as The Observer Building, in Hastings town centre.

The building was originally constructed for the publishers and printers, F. J. Parsons, in 1924 and was designed by the Hastings architect, Henry Ward.

The building was subsequently used by The Observer Newspaper as both a printworks and its administrative centre, until vacating in 1985. The building has remained empty and neglected in the years between, which has allowed significant deterioration to be caused to the entire building fabric and in particular the reinforced concrete structure.

A number of surveys have been conducted over the years, when various parties showed an interest in taking on the building and each survey shows the increasing damage caused, in the main, by water ingress.

The building was finally purchased by White Rock Neighbourhood Ventures in late 2018, who, together with the assistance of various funders, intend to bring this impressive building back to life and utilise the enormous space available.

Our works have involved surveying all concrete surfaces to identify the full extent of defective concrete, before its removal back to a sound substrate. All exposed reinforcement is carefully prepared prior to be in treated with a proprietary primer. The prepared areas are reinstated using a cementitious, polymer modified repair mortar.

Due to the sheer size of the structure internally (in excess of 5,000m²), it was decided that the protective anti-carbonation coatings would be applied by airless spray equipment, which was purchased specifically for this project and has enabled the process to be sped up considerably.

During the works approximately 15 tonnes of repair mortar will be used and over 2,000 litres of anti-carbonation coatings.

It is testament to the original design and construction of this building, which was left to decay for so long that its repair was viable, and demolition was not necessary.

The external elevations of the building are hoped to be completed as part of a separate phase, which will be carried out in the near future.

Westlands Primary School, Sittingbourne

Structural Renovations Helifix

Structural Renovations secured the works to complete concrete repair and masonry stabilisation to Westlands Primary School in Kent, working as a specialist sub-contractor to Kier Construction.

Westlands Primary School was constructed in the 1960’s and is a typical example of many schools built during the period with brick facades, reinforced concrete features such as window cills, window surrounds, columns and flat roofs with overhangs.

The window cills, lintels and surrounds are constructed from reconstituted stone or ‘engineered stone,’ using natural stone aggregates, such as portland, mixed with a cementitious binder, that is intended to resemble natural quarried stone. A recurring issue with this type of construction is that the embedded mild steel reinforcement which is used to provide tensile strength is compromised by both low cover and the relative high porosity of the reconstituted stone. This leads to expansive corrosion of the reinforcement (due to the presence of moisture and oxygen) and causes the ‘stone’ to crack and spall. Entire sections can be damaged by this process and repair is generally the most cost effective and practical method of treatment.

The treatment in this instance was to mechanically remove all loose and defective ‘stone’ together with any reinforcement that had lost significant section. New stainless steel reinforcement was fixed in position using a two part polyester resin. A temporary timber shuttter was formed to the profile of the area to be reinstated, which included drip, upstands and falls. The prepared broken back surface and reinforcement was coated with Sika MonoTop 610 and reinstated with Sika MonoTop 615 back to the original surface profile.

The brickwork in places at Westlands Primary School had diagonal, stepped cracking which required stabilisation. These were reinforced using Helifix Helibars set in Helifix Helibond Grout, a non-shrink cementitious grout, within the bed joints at regular centres along the length of the crack. Once installed the reinforced areas were repointed to match the existing pointing.

The works are to be completed over a number of phases to suit both the major refurbishment scheme by the Principal Contractor as well as the school term times and operating hours.

Royal Hospital Chelsea

Royal Hospital Chelsea

Grade I listed and designed by Sir Christopher Wren, ‘The Royal Hospital’ was founded by King Charles II in 1682 as a retirement and nursing home for soldiers of the British Army.

The hospital is situated close to the River Thames, in the the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea on a 66 acre site. The residents of the hospital are known as ‘Chelsea Pensioners.’

Structural Renovations were employed by Wates Construction to stabilise the chimney breasts within the building, reform feature brickwork dressings around windows and repairs to stonework within a number of the rooms.

The chimney breasts had the timber panelling removed exposing the cracked brickwork beneath. Bed joints at regular centres were ground out, being careful not to damage the 300 year old hand-made bricks. Stainless steel helical bars, set in non-shrink cementitious grout were installed into the pre-soaked slots. The slots were then repointed using a lime mortar.

The deep red brickwork dressings around some window openings had, over time cracked and spalled due to expansive corrosion of metal inclusions and frost damage following moisture ingress. The defective brickwork was removed using only hand tools to avoid further damage.

Stainless steel pins were drilled in to sound substrate and set in a two part polyester. Usually a specially colour matched, modified mortar, the repaired areas were reinstated and whilst still not fully cured the brickwork was carved to the required profiles to include ‘dummy’ perp and bed joints, which were subsequently pointed with another colour-matched mortar.

Stone work repairs were completed using stainless steel pins for support and a colour-matched, modified mortar.

This project was secured with Wates following successful completion of masonry repairs to Somerset House another one of London’s Grade I listed buildings.

Salters Hall, Fore Street

Salters Hall

Salter’s Hall is situated within the City of London, close to London Wall. The Worshipful Company of Salter’s is a livery company first licensed in 1394 to trade in salt and is ranked 9th in order of precedence and therefore one of the ‘Great 12.’

Their original building in St. Swithin’s Lane was bombed during a German air-raid in 1941 and the decision was taken to move to their current location on Fore Street, adjacent to the Barbican in 1976. The building, designed by renowned architect Sir Basil Spence, was listed in 2010 and carried Grade II status. It is built in the brutalist style of architecture.

The entire structure has received a major refurbishment (its first since construction) and has been honoured with a special livery award by the Company of Chartered Architects, in the City Building of the Year 2016.

Structural Renovations secured the first package, which was concerned with significant concrete repair to columns and beams, using Weber.Cem HB40, a high strength polymer modified repair mortar. The package also required us to replicate the ‘knapped’ rib finish and various other profiles. This was achieved using Weber.Cem Lightweight and whilst still ‘green’ the mortar was hand carved to form the required finish.

We returned for a second phase of works in autumn 2015, which involved the installation of replacement reinforcement and re-profiling of concrete elements.

Summer 2016 saw us return to carry out concrete repairs to areas that were not accessible during previous visits. In addition we were instructed to carry out site trials using a lime and silicate based thin coat render, followed by the application of a highly specialised mineral paint system. The site trials were specifically for the new pavilion, which has been built to the east of the building and where the architect required a particularly smooth and uniform finish. The trials were subsequently approved and we returned to site in autumn 2016.

The various phases were undertaken within strict programme periods, involving multiple interested parties that included City of London Corporation, DMFK Architects, Capita, as well as the Salter’s.

Bush House

Bush House

Grade II listed Bush House, which was home to the BBC World Service for over 70 years, was commissioned and designed in 1919, planned as a major new trade centre and designed by American architect Harvey Wiley Corbett.

Built from Portland stone, Bush House was in 1929 declared the “most expensive building in the world,” built at a cost of around £2,000,000.

The building underwent a period of refurbishment and due to the basements current use the works were coordinated effectively to accommodate the tenants as well as meeting the strict programme deadlines.

Due to historic water ingress issues into the basement Structural Renovations successfully tendered and were subsequently employed to carry out repairs to the defective concrete soffits, beams and columns. Repairs were completed using Sika MonoTop 610 and 615 and corrosion control was installed by way of Sika Margel 580 VPI vapour phase inhibitors drilled and fixed into the soffits at regular centres to prevent any latent defects.

Additionally the failed render was removed from two retaining walls and replaced with a new traditional sand and cement render before being over coated with Flexcrete Cementitious Coating 851. This coating acts as a structural waterproof membrane and can resist positive and negative pressure under 100m head in water retaining structures and enhances the durability of reinforced concrete by reinstating effective cover.

The works were completed within budget and programme.