The Hoover Building


Hoover Building Structural Renovations

Structural Renovations Limited completed a 12 month concrete repair and specialist coating project at the iconic Hoover Building in Perivale, West London.

The building was constructed as a factory for the Hoover Company in 1933 to the design of Wallis, Gilbert & Partners, who were inspired by the Mayan and Aztec fashion displayed at the 1925 Paris Exhibition and remained operational until its closure in the 1982.

During the Second World War the factory was used to manufacture parts for various aircraft and the building was camouflaged with netting to help avoid being attacked.

Being of significant architectural importance the building was Grade II* listed in October 1980 and in 1989 Tesco purchased the site and set about converting the rear into a large supermarket, including sympathetic recreations of various original building motifs around its entrance and car park.

Structural Renovations were employed to carry out a condition survey of the concrete to the original structure and from the results of the survey we developed a specification for its repair and protection, based on the use Sika products.

Structural Renovations were instructed to carry out the repair and restoration works and following an initial clean we were able to identify all spalling and defective concrete. Where required the concrete was repaired using a polymer modified repair system, combined with the installation of a vapour phase inhibitor, to control any ongoing corrosion to the embedded reinforcement.

Previously painted areas received a multi-coat elastomeric system and unpainted elements of the building had a clear anti-carbonation coating applied.

Finally, all existing sealants at the junction between window frames and painted concrete were raked out, prepared by priming and reinstated with a one part low modulus sealant.

During our external works the internal areas of the original building were converted into 66 luxury apartments by IDM Properties.

We are proud to have been involved in prolonging the life of this prestigious example of Art Deco architecture and it demonstrates the capabilities of our Company.

The Observer Building, Hastings


Observer Building Concrete Repairs

Structural Renovations were awarded the contract to complete extensive structural repairs and apply protective coatings to all reinforced concrete within the landmark structure, known as The Observer Building, in Hastings town centre.

The building was originally constructed for the publishers and printers, F. J. Parsons, in 1924 and was designed by the Hastings architect, Henry Ward.

The building was subsequently used by The Observer Newspaper as both a printworks and its administrative centre, until vacating in 1985. The building has remained empty and neglected in the years between, which has allowed significant deterioration to be caused to the entire building fabric and in particular the reinforced concrete structure.

A number of surveys have been conducted over the years, when various parties showed an interest in taking on the building and each survey shows the increasing damage caused, in the main, by water ingress.

The building was finally purchased by White Rock Neighbourhood Ventures in late 2018, who, together with the assistance of various funders, intend to bring this impressive building back to life and utilise the enormous space available.

Our works have involved surveying all concrete surfaces to identify the full extent of defective concrete, before its removal back to a sound substrate. All exposed reinforcement is carefully prepared prior to be in treated with a proprietary primer. The prepared areas are reinstated using a cementitious, polymer modified repair mortar.

Due to the sheer size of the structure internally (in excess of 5,000m²), it was decided that the protective anti-carbonation coatings would be applied by airless spray equipment, which was purchased specifically for this project and has enabled the process to be sped up considerably.

During the works approximately 15 tonnes of repair mortar will be used and over 2,000 litres of anti-carbonation coatings.

It is testament to the original design and construction of this building, which was left to decay for so long that its repair was viable, and demolition was not necessary.

The external elevations of the building are hoped to be completed as part of a separate phase, which will be carried out in the near future.

The Friends Meeting House


The Friends Meeting House

The Meeting House is a grade II* listed non-denominational meeting place situated at the University of Sussex. It was designed by the eminent Sir Basil Spence, the celebrated architect of the post war era. The structure, which is a circular 2 storey building with a conical roof, was completed for dedication in October 1966.

It is constructed primarily from large board-marked reinforced concrete blocks, laid in a staggered formation with multi-coloured stained glass filling the gaps between blocks.

The internal concrete faces, which have been left uncoated since construction, had become stained over the decades. In an attempt to clean the walls we carried out cleaning trials using a number of techniques including the use of dry-ice pellets. This method leaves no blast media upon completion as the pellets evaporate upon contact with the surface that is being treated.

This approach was felt the most appropriate within the building where the use of grit, sand, chemical or water blasting techniques would be disruptive and totally inappropriate.

The external concrete surfaces had previously been repaired and coated by us in the early 1990s as part of a maintenance package and were in need of refurbishment.

Subsequently we were awarded a subcontract for treating both the internal and external surfaces of the building.

All external concrete was pressure washed and a minor amount of concrete repair carried out before the application of an elastomeric coating at high level and anti-carbonation coating on the remaining areas. The sealant within the parapet was also replaced as part of the works.

Repair mortars, coatings and sealants were manufactured by Fosroc Limited, with the works being completed during the university summer holidays when the campus was least busy.