The site was first developed in the 1830s by the firm Samuel Enderby & Sons, who were the largest commercial whaling and sealing company in Britain. The Company was so famous at the time that Hermann Melville immortalised the Enderby family in his book ‘Moby Dick’.
Enderby House was built in 1846, as both a home and office premises for the Company, until the decline in whaling led the Enderby’s to cease their enterprise in 1854.
Glass Elliott & Co. took over the site to manufacture and lay transatlantic telegraph cables. It is interesting to note that the SS Great Eastern was used as a cable laying ship due to its sheer size being capable of holding the required amount of cabling. Numerous takeovers and mergers took place over the years and the last cables were manufactured on the site in 1975. The communications company Alcatel, who purchased the site in 1994, eventually sold a large part of the site, including Enderby House, to Barrett Developments for housing, which commenced in 2014.
Enderby House was Grade II Listed in 1973, due to it close links with local industry and technology development.
Our works were concerned with extensive masonry stabilisation, as decades of neglect had taken their toll on the 170-year-old structure. A comprehensive scheme was developed between Helifix and ourselves, which saw 6mm diameter Helifix HeliBars being installed to form load-bearing masonry beams and to stabilise cracked brickwork. This was followed by the installation of Helifix 8mm diameter CemTies to pin the window head/arches to the newly formed beams.
The project was completed within a challenging contract programme, where numerous other trades were present.
Enderby House will now re-open as a public house run by Young & Co. Brewery PLC.